The truth about acne and nutrition!
We've all heard it... you are what you eat! Well, that is true regarding your skin as well. What you put into your body tends to show up via your skin. Why? Because our skin is the body's largest excretory organ. What in the heck does that mean?? It means that our skin helps in the process of getting rid of alllll the nasty nasty stuff we put into our bodies. It also gets rid of the good byproducts as well. So. You eat like crap, your skin will show it. You eat like a champ, your skin will show it!!
So, what can we do about it?
1. Eat less ugar. Particularly refined sugar. They are empty carboydrates that will cause your insulin levels in your body to rise quickly. This in turn increases our skins oil production, increases skin cell growth, and all of that combined leads to acne breakouts. Beware of the sugar bombs.
2. Eat more GOOD carbohydrates, such as fruits, veggies, whole grains and legumes. These contain an excellent BALANCE of sugars and fibers. The fiber in these foods allow the sugar to absorb slowly over time and help sustain energy. Not a giant spike like the bad sugars do.
3. Switch up your milk. Have you tried nut milk? By switching this out, you will lessen your intake of certain dairy containing amino acids that can trigger acne. Try to stay away from soy milk, as this is a form of other hormones that can add to a slew of all sorts of other troubles. Stick with almond or cashew milk!
4. Wate water water! Keep your body and your skin hydrated by consuming enough water. 8 glasses, right?? Maybe... You should be drinking 1/2 your weight in ounces. I weight 160 lbs. So, I should drink 80 ounces of water per day. I am guilty of not getting this done, simply because I forget. There are tons of ways to get into the habit! Apps, reminders on your phone, carrying around your water bottle all day. Never forget it!
5. Maintain a healthy gut. Consuming good foods, and good supplements, such as probiotics and prebiotic fiber. WAIT.. We've heard this before!! Prebiotic Fiber- this is our GLOW BIOTIC! This product will help feed the good bacteria in our gut system that exists already (the probiotics). By giving them what they want, it will allow our entire bodies to function better, including our skin!
6. Be patient... making a change in your skincare routine or your diet routine will start to show up weeks down the road. If you don't see a difference right away, don't sweat it! Give it time. In fact, it may take up to 12 weeks to see a change. You must wait until your skin cells turn over to show those fresh, hydrated, nutrient filled skin cells! Let em glow!!